Who’s On First – A Quick Communication Activity

Employers continue to cite communication as an important skill for successful careers. Consider using this short 10-minute activity to begin a discussion about effective communication in your classroom or during a student organization meeting. To prepare, ask two students to read through the script prior to the class or meeting. As you select students to act out the story remind them that practice, enthusiasm and careful enunciation are important for success. Have the two students read the following script and then ask them the debrief questions that follow.

Script for Activity:

  • Abbott: Alright, now whaddya want?
  • Costello: Now look, I’m the head of the sports department. I got know the baseball players’ names. Do you know the guys’ names?
  • Abbott: Oh sure.
  • Costello: So you go ahead and tell me some of their names.
  • Abbott: We have Who’s on first, What’s on second, I Don’t Know’s on third.
  • Costello: That’s what I wanna find out.
  • Abbott: I say Who’s on First, What’s on second, I Don’t Know’s on third.
  • Costello: You know the fellows’ names?
  • Abbott: Certainly!
  • Costello: Well then who’s on first?
  • Abbott: Yes!
  • Costello: I mean the fellow’s name!
  • Abbott: Who!
  • Costello: The guy on first!
  • Abbott: Who!
  • Costello: The first baseman!
  • Abbott: Who!
  • Costello: The guy playing first!
  • Abbott: Who is on first!
  • Costello: Now whaddya askin’ me for?
  • Abbott: I’m telling you Who is on first!
  • Costello: Well, I’m asking YOU who’s on first!
  • Abbott: That’s the man’s name.
  • Costello: That’s who’s name?
  • Abbott: Yes.
  • Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.
  • Abbott: Who.
  • Costello: The guy on first.
  • Abbott: Who!
  • Costello: The first baseman.
  • Abbott: Who is on first!
Debrief Questions:
  • What happened?
  • What was the source of the confusion?
  • Where do you see this kind of communication confusion in real life?
  • Based upon this experience, what can we do to improve our communication with others?
Leadership Development Tip for 10.31.08

No comments: