rubistar

I have a love hate relationship with rubrics. I love that they provide students with guidance, clear criteria and demonstrate the type of evidence I’m looking for in a project. I hate making them. I love that I can transfer responsibility for learning by answering most questions with a simple, “check your rubric.” I hate that rubrics take me forever to write. I love that the quality of projects usually increases when I’ve written a good rubric. I hate that, even if I write a good rubric, I have to spend adequate time and effort training my students on the rubric before they “get it.”

A rubric ensures that a project supports your learning objectives by defining the criteria students will be evaluated on and listing the evidence that is to be produced for each criteria.

If you have a favorite rubric resource, please share in a comment for the rest of us! One of my favorites (which is free) is
rubistar. Rubistar allows you to find, create and share rubrics. You can search examples or browse by subject area. If your project needs a little spicing up, you can visit the inspiration page for help.

When creating a rubric on rubistar, you don’t have to start with a blank slate. The site helps you find a similar, customizable rubric to help you start. Here’s the beauty: there are drop down menus of criteria choose from (or you can enter your own). There are also presets for the evidence columns and you can choose how you want to weight each criteria. When you’re finished, you can save, print and go!

Classroom Engagement Tip for November 10, 2008

No comments: