If You Do Nothing Else

If You Do Nothing Else

My efforts to come up with something crafty and useful for this week’s Career Development Tip haven’t been all that fruitful, but they did lead me to ask myself, “What is it that teachers/counselors/administrators/paraprofessionals/coaches must do to help students do in the career development arena?” I’ve come up with the line “the first step is to start showing we care.” Please don’t be offended—I know you care dearly about your students. By “care” I mean, make it priority, start the conversation with students and follow up. They’ve been asked a number of times what it is they want to be when they grow up, but how many adults have taken a genuine interest in what they’ve said or challenged them to consider careers that fit with their talents and interests? How many adults have asked how they will go about accomplishing their goals?

As you’re settling into the routine of school again, make it a habit to show you care about their future careers. If it feels like too much, focus on two or three students who could use guidance and encouragement.
.


Career Development Tip for August 14, 2008

No comments: