That's What I'm Looking For!






We’ve discussed Positive Psychology and Positive Behavior Support in prior postings. Both programs share a common element of placing focus on desired behaviors in our students. I don’t think that means you can let little Jimmy disrupt class for 15 minutes with his not-so-desired behaviors, but you can make a concerted effort to praise good behaviors.
Appropriate praise varies from situation to situation and student to student. If you have a brand new group of students this semester, it may take you awhile to determine what each responds well to. Here are a few options of varying degrees to get you started (Click on the table to increase its size):


The last suggestion, positive note home, reminds me of a random progress report and note my freshman English teacher mailed to my parents sharing how impressed he was with my first poetry analysis. He was hard to snag a compliment from, and it meant a lot to my mom and me.
Commit to focusing on the positive in your classes this next week or so. It can really make a difference. Besides, it’s much more fun to be the bearer of good news than bad!

Leadership Development Tip for January 15, 2009



No comments: